Thursday, October 8, 2009

Beheaded cop's son vows revenge on Maoists


We all watched in horror the news about the beheading of a police officer by Maoists a naxalite group. The cop was executed by maoists as their demand to release some of their detained people were not met with by the police.

If this news is not bad enough, a popular Indian TV channel broadcast another more shocking scene to the news hungry viewers. The slained cop's son Abhishek Induwar appeared on TV and said “You have killed my father, I will join the police and will kill you people--I will kill you people (Maoists)”. What is shocking was that he was only 9 years old. While some may find this absolutely normal expression of  a boy who lost his father, to me it was really disturbing. To air such words by a 9 year old on TV needs real guts or should I say ignorance?

What do we want our children to learn from such reports? Blood for blood? I will not be surprised if another channel broadcast a video this time by a maoist members son responding to the cop's son. It could be some thing along the line "Since my father will be old by the time you become a cop, I will be waiting for you dear Abhishek. Let us see who kills whom".  Or should we take this to another level. Why not line up these boys in a reality show and see how they are groomed to take revenge by showing every step of their preparations for a show down.

I feel really sorry for the state of our TV channels. 

Rajesh Kumar

No comments:

Post a Comment